2013-05-04

Real Food

"Pie, Pie, Me oh my, 
Nothing tastes sweet, wet, salty and dry
All at once so well as pie
Apple! Pumpkin! Minced and wet bottom.
I'll come to your place everyday if you've got em'
Pie. Me oh my, I love pie!"

Did you know these are the lyrics from an actual song? Disturbing. Why would anyone write a song about pie? I actually did an Internet search and found several listings for songs about chocolate cake. Now THAT makes sense!! Cake, cookies...... those are worthwhile, Real Food. But pie? No. not so much. 

We used to belong to a church that often chose pie as the main dish for any social get together. So the first time we went to one, I expected to see lots of different desserts, so I put together one of my favorites and brought it. It went completely untouched. NO ONE had any. Which was OK, because it was one of my favorites and I didn't mind taking it home.

But when they said "Pie Social", these people meant business!! The tables were covered with all kinds of pie with my pitiful little NOT pie hanging out in the nether regions of the land of desserts. Honestly, I was tempted to pick up my entire dessert and a fork and sit in the middle of the room to enjoy it. I think my handsome half is very glad that most times I don't do what I'm tempted to do.

You see, I don't like pie. Perhaps it's because I didn't grow up in a traditional holiday celebrating family with turkey and trimmings dinners complete with pie and whipped cream desserts. (I don't like whipped cream either. That one's for free. You're welcome.) We usually had grilled steak, or lasagna for Thanksgiving, and never had pie. I think my dad liked it, but mom didn't and she didn't really love to cook, so on rare occasions we got Mrs. Smith's 'home made' pies, but more often than not, dessert consisted of something else. Like cake, or cookies. Real food. 

I'm pretty sure there won't be any pie in heaven. There are no references to pie in the Bible. 'Cake' is in there a BUNCH of times. The only way 'pie' is in the Bible is as  part of the word 'piece'. And we all know that doesn't count. No wonder cake tastes so heavenly!! Especially chocolate. 

A local deli has a cake that's SEVEN LAYERS of chocolate goodness. Yeah, baby. It's on my bucket list. Pie is anemic  looking and even 'mile high pies' pale in comparison to this chocolate cake sky scraper. Pies have things like fruit and squash in them. But there is not one thing of redeeming value in chocolate cake. It's Real Food. 

I'm a little hungry. And I have a stash of Ding Dong's in the kitchen calling my name. They're little baby chocolate cakes. So, we'll just call them hors d' oeuvres.



When you've stuffed yourself, you refuse dessert; 
when you're starved, you could eat a horse.
Prov. 27:7 (Msg)


3 comments:

  1. I am laughing so hard. I agree with you on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I never understood the pie thing at that church either. I like my mom's pumpkin pie (but I don't eat the crust), and I like chocolate pie in an Oreo cookie crust, and strawberry pie (but again, I don't eat the crust...pie crust is tasteless and a waste of calories). But other than that, give me cake or some other dessert any day over pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pie crust should actually be called "Quiche crust" because that's where it actually tastes GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete