2015-05-10

Around Town 10 on 10

When you hear someone say they're from the south, you usually think of gracious plantation homes, gentle accents, magnolias and beautiful southern women. Well..... I'm from the south. But MY south includes deserts, tie dye, beaches and granola folk. I'm a homegrown product of Southern California. We've moved all over the country since leaving the land of fruits, flakes and nuts, but I never imagined in a million years that I would end up in the mid-west. And yet, that is where I find myself. I live in the exact geographical center of the state of Ohio. And we've set a personal record by living here longer than any other place in our married life. 

This little town is known as the "City of Respect" and holds its place in history as the birthplace of the tomato. I kid you not. Evidently a city father propagated the very first domesticated tomato. We even have an annual Tomato Festival with a queen and everything. So, next time you bite into one, you'll know where those little red beauties got their start. The township sits on the National Road which was originally intended to run between Cumberland Maryland and the Ohio river. I'll admit, I lived here quite a long time before realizing the historical gem that ran just a few streets from my door.

So, here's a peek at my little piece of America's heartland. Enjoy.



The towns history is captured in a beautiful mural on the National Road. We just call it "Main St."



Yep. Our little Main Street is famous.


The mural sits right across the street from the old hardware store. Every mid-western town needs at least one vintage neon sign.


We also have a tank that sits proudly in front of the VFW. 


There are lots of working farms and this one right across the street reminds me so much of the farms in Lancaster Pa. Yep. We lived there too.


We have some beautiful architecture and this is much smaller than it appears. It's known as the Tower Building.


And we have our fair share of irony. Why is that you ask? Because you can't get any further to the rear of the property than this little garage. All the parking is actually in front of it.


This is a community of contrasts. On one road, we host the beautiful Macedonian Orthodox Cathedral, but just a few streets away......


.....there is an abandoned Quonset hut. These were used by the military all over the Pacific theater in World War 2 to house personnel and supplies. I even got in on the fun when the military sold them as surplus and my school district in California picked up a few to use as additional classroom space. They were hot and stinky. I'd love to know how this one landed in the middle of a farm field in Ohio only to be forgotten. 



I'm always amazed at what I find in this little town. This is a Lustron Home from the early 50's. Built from steel. All steel. Top to bottom, inside and out including the shingles. Contrary to popular belief, it's steel construction actually makes it extra safe in lightening, but hanging pictures is a challenge. It's been several years since I spoke to one of the residents, but as far as I know, it still belongs to the original owners.

I'm many years and a long ways away from SoCal, but for now this is home. 
And more interesting than I ever realized!




For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2 Cor. 5:1




Linking up to: Rebekah Gough

No comments:

Post a Comment